Google Analytics

Monday, June 20, 2011

G Lounge - June 3 Visit

And now comes another long-awaited report, from another new writer, Ebony Knight. -Adam


G Lounge, Friday June 3
Report by: Ebony Knight


As a busy wife, mother, and prelaw student, I covet the rare opportunities I get to let my hair down and just be ME! Imagine my disappointment when, after finally finding an outfit that didn’t scream “soccer-mom”, getting all six of my little angels settled with the sitter (yes, I said SIX!), and breaking a few traffic laws to find the G Lounge and a place to park in downtown Philadelphia early enough to get in free, I ended up being turned away at the door because I didn’t have proper ID. After the initial shock of being “carded”, my husband and I made the trek back to the parking garage to retrieve my driver’s license from my purse. Of course we ended up having to pay full price since the bouncer claimed it was after 10:00pm already.

The atmosphere outside the G Lounge leads one to believe that they are about to enter an upscale establishment. The bouncer who asks you if you’re “on the list”, the pic of Snoop Dogg on their website, and the inscription you read when you walk in “sophisticated nightlife” all contribute to the ambiance of exclusivity. However, upon entering the G Lounge, I found it to be more like a boring house party in someone’s basement.

After going down a few stairs and through a couple doors you’re met by an ex (or aspiring) pimp whom I assume was watching either the register, the girl on the register, or both. I am not exaggerating when I say he looked like a wanna-be-pimp: mismatched polyester suit, hat, gold rings and all! Proceeding past this unexpected source of comic relief, we entered the G Lounge and ordered a drink at one of their three bars. Unfortunately, we only ordered one drink since my request for something “cute and slushy” couldn’t be fulfilled because they don’t have blenders in their establishment. What kind of bar doesn’t have a blender!?!?!?! Anyway, the one drink we did order cost us a whopping $15 bucks!

It wasn’t hard to find a place to sit since the place was virtually empty besides a few stragglers here and there who were enjoying drinks quietly. There was also a group of young guys who seemed to be doing a pretty good job entertaining themselves in what was supposed to be the VIP section of the club. Note: this “VIP” area consists of an unenclosed, elevated strip of the room with one girl dancing at the entrance of the room for everyone to see. Sadly, this wasn’t even a perk since neither of the two girls who took turns dancing had any rhythm. I guess the big guy blocking the entrance of the landing makes it “VIP”.

The lounge/basement was decorated very comfortably with some sections of it actually looking like a living room, complete with flat screen televisions on the wall. We were bored out of our minds for the first hour we were there. We actually got out hands stamped and left for a while just to walk around the city and grab a quick bite to eat with hopes that the party would start poppin by the time we returned. After window shopping and enjoying a free doughnut from Krispy Kreme for doughnut day, we returned to find that a few more people had shown up, but the party was far from poppin. Maybe it was the house/techno music that I couldn’t quite get with or the boring movie that kept catching my attention and on the flat screen televisions, but I couldn’t stop yawning and after another hour or so I finally decided to retire to life as usual…Until next time!

Ebony Knight

No comments:

Post a Comment