Google Analytics

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mexican Post Love Park - Outdoor Dining

And now comes P. Thatcher's report on the Mexican Post Love Park location. -Adam

Mexican Post, Love Park
June 3, 2011.

Report By: P. Thatcher

I am always up for a party, so when the e-mail came saying "Happy Hour" my day was made. The invite mentioned that Mexican Post was picked for its outdoor seating, and convenience. I might be ready to hop a taxi to some Old City outpost, but I understand that people with wives or dogs or children or World-of-Warcraft waiting for them at home might not be as excited about venturing far from our offices.

I popped over at 5 sharp, making me the first of the crew to arrive. Friday was about about as nice a day as Philadelphia ever has: sunny, not to hot, with a breeze. There was already a big crowd in a cordoned off area of outdoor seating, and a DJ playing some music from portable speakers.

About five minutes later, the first wave of the rest of the party arrived. The partier-in-charge asked the hostess, an attractive brunette, by the way, about getting a table for ten. Expected wait, 30-45 minutes, but we were free to stand and get drinks from the small outdoor bar. We took that deal.

The little bar had margaritas, red cans of Tecate, and maybe Lager? I went with a margarita, graciously paid for by one of my co-workers. Now, this is a margarita in a plastic cup, and fairly low strength. No problem, I could nurse it a while and continue enjoying hanging out.

So we socialized and a few things started to become appearant. The first was that standing too close to the speakers was really annoying. The second was that 30-45 minutes was a very optimistic guess. Part of the problem, I think, is that the crowd was having a wonderful time starting the weekend with a little buzz in the sun. I know I was impressed. Even if my legs were getting tired.

Our crew had a few splits and re-orgs, so by about 7:30 we got a table for six. The sun was still out, people watching could continue, and food was on the way. I wound up getting more shrimp than anticipated (I was trying to order the appetizer, wound up with an entree. No big deal, I was hungry enough to tackle it. Waitress was apologetic.) Closed out the night with a shot of Don Julio Blanco ($14).

By 9:30 the party was winding down. And, perhaps because of its dependence on Center City worker bees, so was Mexican Post. They were quick with the check. The bathrooms were clean. And so the happy hour ended.

A few further notes. If you are trying to meet new people, the patio is really not the right place to do it. Most everyone there was part of a party of some sort. So although it was fun to people-watch, I don't think anyone would have felt comfortable striking up a conversation with a different table. For that, you would probably be better off at the bar indoors. Also, on a nice day, it's going to be hard to get a nice chain of table all to yourself without arriving early. We will remember that for next time. By 5 the place was packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment