Google Analytics

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tavern on Camac Karaoke

And now a new writer, Bryant Nnadi, describing a recent evening of karaoke at Tavern on Camac -Adam


Karaoke Night, Tavern on Camac on Tuesday, June 14th
Report by: Bryant Nnadi


Last Night I went to a bar called Tavern (short for Tavern on Camac) that is located off a hidden block called Camac St (near the intersection with Spruce).

I was out with one of my female friends and she is a die hard karaoke freak. In fact her love of karaoke has introduced me to a new scene in Philadelphia that is starting to make some headway. They call themselves the "The Karaoke Night Lifers". This scene consists of mainly after work professionals and artists, but the crowd is rich in personality and, surprisingly, talent.

When I arrived at the bar with my friend, I honestly didn't know what to expect. From the way that television depicts Karaoke, it didn't seem that exciting or much of an adventure to sit around and listen to people ruin your favorite song. Instead I was greeted with a lush atmosphere, reminiscent of what the days when the folks used to party at Studio 54. The lights and decor were lavishly modern and minimalist. At the bar, my first conversation of the night garnered a a good number of people that were all pretty attractive. There weren't that many women in to enjoy the night with, but there were some pretty interesting characters that easily stole the night.

One person (who for confidentiality purposes we'll call Steve) found my friend very interesting and asked her to perform a number of duets with him, from Rent, Cats, & Les Miserables to Showtunes. A part of me felt like he was trying to steal my friend away from me, but another half just couldn't get over how entertaining the whole night was becoming. After a few long winded solos on my part, some friendly Stoli representatives came by and handed out free drinks which made Singing in front of a crowd of complete strangers even more appealing.

By the end of the night, I made new friends, learned a thing or two about Karaoke, and got to enjoy a night at a totally new venue.

I can't wait to see where I end up tonight.

Bryant Nnadi

No comments:

Post a Comment