Google Analytics

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

G Lounge - Saturday October 8

A new report from Christina Larkins - Adam



G Lounge 111 S 17th St
Saturday October 8, 11 pm
$20 cover



If you’d like a nice place to go just to hear a few light pop songs, grab a drink and look at pretty women, or clean cut men in suits, then I highly suggest this place. But don’t expect to be blown away by anything. Its like the Kim Kardashian of clubs. All looks. No substance. And highly overpriced.

The one word that keeps coming to my mind when I think of the G Lounge is safe. Very nice. Very clean. Very proper. And very safe.

The craziest part of this club is the ridiculous “Studio 54” like line outside. Lots of pushing waiting to get in, lots of “hey I’m on this list” etc etc. But once I got past all of the fluffery, I walked down stairs to get in and heard Whitney Houston “I wanna dance with somebody” playing. In 2011. And I knew it was safe. The type of lounge you might actually bring your boss to after her nasty divorce. Very….yuppie. Safe. Corporate. But, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I did end up having one of the best nights out in the city in a long time, In spite of myself. It’s hard not to have fun there.

The club is visually beautiful. Huge VIP areas with leather couches, and cool lighting. There was a huge back bar, and a little “mini” bar on the dance floor. (I suggest using the back bar, the poor girl was getting totally slammed at the mini bar.) Mirrors were all around, which actually made me think the place was huge, at first glance. But no, It seems that most of the space was given to the “lounging” part. So if you actually want to dance you have a little space in the back by the DJ, or you can utilize any of the super skinny aisle. Which, I would highly recommend staying OUT of the aisle. Have you ever been on a subway during rush hour ? That’s pretty much equivalent to standing still in the main aisle at G Lounge.

I must admit, although the DJ was ridiculously generic, spinning the same mindless top 40 “radio friendly” jams you hear all day long, he DID keep the crowd going. It also helped that there were some amazingly beautiful dancers on boxes all night that were awe inspiring. Even if you didn’t like the music, you liked THEM liking the music lol.

The crowd was mixed, but all seemed to be of a certain class level. Not too many struggling artists types around this place. Everyone was very well dressed and for the most part friendly. And, seeing as how this is one of the only clubs in Philly were celebs are actually spotted at, I’m sure most of them were hoping to “casually” run into some D-List celeb. You know. But I appreciate good fashion so I wont judge their motives.

The drinks were very well made and after a few of them, even I felt safe enough to take my rhythmically challenged self to the dance floor for a bit.
The bathrooms were clean but small. And well maintained. And the attendant is probably the funniest woman in the world. She should really have her own show.
The staff (bouncers, bartenders, managers) were all very friendly and helpful throughout the night.

All in all it was a good time.

Dress spiffy. No sneakers or tees. And bring some cash. Those nicely made drinks add up. Shot of tequila was appx $15. Jack & Ginger was $10.

--

Christina Larkins

No comments:

Post a Comment