Google Analytics

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Union Transfer October 18

And another report from Christina Larkins. Fans, I appreciate all of your interest in these accounts, and I hope to keep them coming at a steadier rate. The delay in getting this report posted is entirely mine. -Adam



Union Transfer 1026 Spring Garden Street
October 18, 8 pm (Tuesday)
Little Dragon, Tycho and DJ QUESTLOVE
$15.00

Report by: Christina Larkins

I never had the pleasure of eating at the Spaghetti Warehouse when it was here, but with all due respect, I have no idea how this building could ever have masqueraded as anything other than the amazing music venue that it is.

I mean, everything about this location is a concert goers dream.

Ample street parking, (most free after 10, but please be sure to read the signs, no need to end up on Parking Wars). And just in case you have a few tickets already and don’t want to risk the street, there was a lot available for the night of the show for only $10 right around the block.

I walked in and was immediately in awe of not only the building itself, but the fact that DJ Questlove was already spinning when doors opened at 8. The sound system was incredible. You could literally feel the music in any part of the building you walk. Clear. Clean. Crisp beats. Not one hint of static or feedback.

You enter through the little “snack/giveaway/promo” lobby, which has a few benches (just in case you need a break from all the chaos during the night) and reasonably priced bottled water and chips. (beware of the stale pretzels.) Beyond the doors you arrive upon this huge floorspace. Just massive. The stage was simplistically set, but whoever was doing the lighting that evening, gets so much credit. The lights were incredible. Moving in perfect tandem with the music. And setting the mood for the whole show all night.
At the back of the huge standing room space was a bar, sectioned off to make sure all liquor stayed in that area, which I, who seemingly have a target on my clothes that says “please, spill your wine here” really appreciated. To the left and the right were seating areas. And if that wasn’t enough, there were balcony’s above full of people. All areas secured with at least one guard. It was the safest I ever felt out at an event.

The show was phenomenal. This isn’t going to turn into a music review, but I have to say I was a really impressed with Little Dragon (who I’d never heard of until the Roots Picnic this year) and of course, anything Questlove is involved with, is pretty much a guaranteed good time. But I digress.

The crowd was mixed. Dancing. Happy. And not the least bit pretentious. Everyone was truly enjoying themselves.

There were ample stalls in the bathroom. The air conditioning actually worked…ALL NIGHT. I mean, this was just a dream venue.

As the night went on, more and more people filled in, but I never got the sense of being cramped, or feeling claustrophobic. There was just an old world grandeur about the place. With so many little seating areas, alcoves and spaces to wander into, you never felt “trapped.”

This is by far, is my new favorite place in the city to see live music, and I can’t wait until the next concert.



--

Christina Larkins

No comments:

Post a Comment