Google Analytics

Monday, May 16, 2011

Ranstead Room - A sweet surprise hidden in a back-alley

Doors are full of drama.

Think of all the things you might want to do or places you may want to go, but that are thwarted by a locked door. And that frustration leads to imagination, conjuring all the wonders that lie just on the other side. The revelation, if the day comes, of what's on the other side may thrill you, or it may disappoint you, but there's no question that getting there is interesting.

My life is frequently hectic. Yours may be too. It feels to me some days that there are too many things to do. Too many people to communicate with. Too many flashing lights. Too many jarring sounds.

And so on those days when the "too much" of life becomes tiresome, I search the little gray cells and consider places where I may retire to a little peace and quiet. And I've found that even a profoundly unbalanced day can be rescued with a little moment of peace to restore my equanimity. A half hour gardening, or a long walk at lunch.

Or, should the mood strike between 7:00 PM to 2:00 AM, perhaps a visit to Philadelphia nightlife's most mysterious doors, dropped between 20th and 21st on Ranstead Street. First one door, then an antechamber where a host may or may not be able to let you in-it's a small space, and standing is not permitted-and finally the eponymous Room itself.

The treasures inside?

I didn't go today. So I'm going to have to direct to other reports, such as these at Yelp, or the awesome enterprise of Bar For the Course.

No comments:

Post a Comment